US News and World Report just published its 4th annual “Best Diets” report. The DASH Diet ranked first; the Paleo Diet ranked last:
Best Diets 2014
Here is their panel of 22 experts who reviewed 38 diets. Recognize anyone?
Kathie Beals, Ph.D., R.D.
Amy Campbell, M.S., R.D., L.D.N. C.D.E.
Lawrence Cheskin, M.D.
Michael Davidson, M.D.
Marion Franz, M.S., R.D.
Teresa Fung, Sc.D., R.D., L.D.N.
Andrea Giancoli, M.P.H., R.D.
Carole V. Harris, Ph.D.
David Katz, M.D., M.P.H.
Penny Kris-Etherton, Ph.D., R.D.
Robert Kushner, M.D.
JoAnn Manson, M.D., Dr.P.H.
Lori Mosca, M.D., M.P.H, Ph.D.
Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani, Ph.D., R.D.
Elisabetta Politi, M.P.H., R.D., C.D.E., L.D.N.
Rebecca Reeves, M.P.H., Dr.P.H., R.D.
Michael Rosenbaum, M.D.
Lisa Sasson, R.D.
Joanne Slavin, Ph.D., R.D.
Laurence Sperling, M.D.
Sachiko St. Jeor, Ph.D., R.D.
Brian Wansink, Ph.D.
The panel rated each diet in 7 categories:
- How easy it is to follow
- Ability to produce short-term weight loss
- Ability to produce long-term weight loss
- Nutritional completeness
- Potential for preventing and managing diabetes
- Potential for preventing and managing heart disease
- Best Diet Overall: Dash Diet
- Best Commercial Diet: Weight Watchers
- Best Weight-Loss Diet: Weight Watchers
- Best Diabetes Diet: The Biggest Loser
- Best Heart-Healthy Diet: Ornish Diet
- Best Diet for Eating Healthy: Dash Diet
- Easiest Diet To Follow: Weight Watchers
- Best Plant-Based Diet: Mediterranean
Of the 38 diets reviewed, 32 were ranked. Here’s a table showing the ranks of all 32 diets. I can’t put the whole thing here, but if you click the image it will take you to the whole list, along with links that describe each diet: