I saw a recipe for black-eyed peas on Forks Over Knives yesterday. Here’s their photo:
I gave it a try this morning. I made a few changes, the biggest is that I cooked it for 2 hours, not their recommended 35 minutes. I thought the beans were still too hard and the sauce still too thin at 35 minutes. This is really good! This becomes beans-on-toast for dinner tonight!
- Soak beans for 12 hours. I used about 3/4 cup dry, so half of their recipe.
- Bring to a boil in a 2 or 3 quart dutch oven or heavy pot, with enough water to cover the beans by several inches.
- Immediately add:
- 1/2 cup unsalted tomato sauce (salt will prevent the beans from softening) or 3 oz tomato paste (1/2 can)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced red pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed
- Spices: about 1/8 teaspoon each: oregano, thyme, paprika, sage, ground onion, ground garlic, cumin. Plus 1 full teaspoon dried minced onion. Plus anything else you want!
- Reduce to a strong simmer, lid ajar, for about 2 hours. Always keep fluid level at least 1 inch above beans (by adding water) until the very end when you reduce sauce to desired thickness.
- Add chipotle or cayenne, salt, and tamari to taste.