5 medium apples, not peeled, 1/4 slice (I used Gala)
Lemon juice, about one small lemon
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Dashes of ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice (optional)
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/3 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (and dashes of others if you prefer)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make topping: Mix Grape Nuts, oats, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix maple syrup and applesauce. Blend with oat mixture. Set aside.
3. Make thickener: Stir together apple juice and cornstarch. Set aside.
4. Make filling: In a bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar. Place apples in a glass baking dish.
5. Spread topping over apples.
6. Pour thickener over apples and topping.
7. Cover and bake for about an hour and 10 minutes or until apples are tender and filling is bubbling.
This is adapted from McDougall’s recipe for Apple Crisp. I left the skins on the apples; that’s where the nutrition and flavor are! I omitted the raisins and changed the sweeteners a bit.
Here’s a photo of the cover on my dish. The dish is about 6.5″ square and 3″ deep. If you don’t have a cover, use parchment paper topped with aluminum foil.
Adding a splash of apple juice as you serve it keeps it moist and bright.