Old film of New York City in the year 1911. Print has survived in mint condition. Slowed down footage to a natural rate and added in sound for ambiance. This film was taken by the Swedish company Svenska Biografteatern on a trip to America.
What do you see?
Some things I saw:
- It’s a bit hard to tell but there doesn’t seem to be the problem with obesity that we have today. And I thought people walked with better posture.
- Most people walking around are men. Where are the women?
- Almost everyone is wearing a hat.
- Lots of pollution, from everything. The air doesn’t even look breathable in places.
- Very formal dressing. Even the young boys (no girls?) running around are wearing suit coats.
- People walk in the street as they do the sidewalk. Well, things don’t move in the street very quickly anyway. People are literally walking out in front of cars, in a relaxed manner.
- The street has to accommodate horse and buggy, buses, trolleys, and cars all at once.
- The structures are incredible … ferries, elevated trains, tall buildings. The human labor involved in all of that, compared to today, must have been enormous.