- Dice fresh cabbage. The inner leaves are crunchier and sweeter.
- Peel and grate carrots.
- Toss cabbage and carrots with red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar) and salt.
- I use about half-and-half cabbage and carrots.
- Besides taste, the salt helps draw out fluid from the vegetables to create a brine.
- I leave it on the counter for about a half hour and toss every few minutes while adding a bit more salt and vinegar until the brine starts to pool at the bottom. Then in the refrigerator it goes.
- It’s better after a day, after it marinates and the sweetness of the carrots flavors everything.
It’s surprising how so few ingredients create such flavor. Here’s me grating in the sunlight: