High Cholesterol Intake Modifies Chylomicron Metabolism In Normolipidemic Young Men, The Journal of Nutrition, April 2006
- One group of healthy young men ate 3 egg whites/day.
- Another group of healthy young men ate 3 whole eggs/day.
Everything else about their diets was the same. Meals were provided by their University in São Paulo. After 2 weeks, total cholesterol was 35% higher and LDL cholesterol was 38% higher in the group that ate the whole eggs:
- Total cholesterol in egg white group: 135 mg/dl
- Total cholesterol in whole egg group: 182 mg/dl
- LDL cholesterol in egg white group: 86 mg/dl
- LDL cholesterol in whole egg group: 119 mg/dl
“A high-cholesterol diet could be proatherogenic not only because of the increase in plasma LDL-C, but also due to the delay in the removal of chylomicron remnants.”