- Rinse 1/4 cup quinoa in cold water.
- Toast uncooked quinoa in a dry pan on low heat until it turns slightly brown and smells like popcorn. Just a minute or two.
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, add quinoa, reduce to simmer, cook for 5 minutes with lid ajar, stir, cook an additional 5 minutes with lid completely covering pot.
- Stir, make sure most water has boiled off or been absorbed, cover and let sit away from heat for 5 minutes more.
- Lightly steam vegetables. Here I’m using celery, onions, and carrots.
- Add vegetables to fluffed quinoa. Season. I use a splash of tamari and a sprinkle of ground flax seeds or gomasio (toasted ground sesame seeds). Salt to taste.